Friday, March 20, 2009

sickies and a little shopping

Well - it started out as allergies, then developed into colds, and who knows what. I think we have a combo problem going on between allergies and whatever little virus we've picked up! Anyways, we've all taken turns with runny noses and fevers and general blahs. I started feeling yucky last night, and today still feel pretty rotten. The baby has been running around with a fever today - asking to go outside, no less! LOL!!! She's running around in footy jammies with her shoes on - lol. Her little eyes are all red and yucky looking - poor baby!

I've decided to officially keep track of my spending vs. savings. I've started logging my receipts - price before any coupons, what I paid out of pocket, and any cats/giftcards that I earned. I started keeping track 3/14 - so I'll be interested to see what it looks like each month.

I stopped at Kroger yesterday. I forget what I initially stopped for - lol - but I came across some chicken on manager's special. I almost bought all of it, but figured I should only get what I was sure I could handle prepping ASAP. So, I grabbed 30 lbs... (3x10 lb bags) I grabbed a few other things since I was there - the standared J&J buddies soap, pillsbury rolls cuz they're a minor money maker deal, more mustard for the same reason, etc...

Anyway, I check out and some of my catalinas print before the transaction is through. The cashier stops and yanks a bunch of them off the machine - and right in front of me - takes one and sets aside on her machine. Then she hands me the rest. I just couldn't believe it! I *should* have said something right there. I guess I was just too shocked. I paid my 4.16 (which sounded like a lot at the time, but i was distracted.)

I came home and called the manager. No one was available, so I had to call back an hour later. When i finally got ahold of a manager - he seemed practically unconcerned. When I mentioned that when I worked in grocery that they considered it like theft to take a customer's catalina's - he did say that it is against their policy and that they'd talk to the cashier and review the tapes. He apologized and said that "hopefully it doesn't happen again." He didn't even offer to replace the catalina she took! I pretty much felt like I wasted my breath at that point, so I was very disappointed.

Then, as I was inputting my receipt, I was checking the totals and making sure all my coupons were taken off since the total had seemed high. Well, I discovered that one of the chickens rang up incorrectly. UGH! I figured I'd have some problems, but when I went in this morning - expecting to get the difference back, they actually refunded me the full price. So that was nice.

So - I guess I need to be more assertive and not mess around from now on. If I see a cashier do something they shouldn't - I'll deal with it right then. If my total seems high, I'll make sure to get it taken care of right away - and check my receipt before leaving the store!

I was going to go shopping this afternoon, but I think the baby is too yucky feeling to drag out. If David is up to it, I may see if he'll want to stay home with the girls and let me wander out by myself tonite. Maybe I'll pick up a few gardening tools while I'm out and finish up my Wags shopping for the week. I sure hope so!

As for house stuff... well... we've got a lot going today. Did history and science - working on reading and math to come. I've managed to get the bedsheets washed, and going to make the bed here shortly.

No comments: