Wednesday, October 8, 2008

God as sustainer

I've been thinking a lot about some recent sermons we've had at church. Today, my thoughts have been on God and his sovereignty.

As a Christian, believing the bible, I affirm that I believe that God is not only creator of all things, but that he is sovereign over them and continues to sustain them at His will.

Sure, I affirm this - but in reality I don't always act like I believe this foundational truth! It is amazing how easy it can be to try to lean on my own self, to forget that God is truly in control of all things! It is easy to be frustrated, depressed, angry, blameful - and it is easy to think or want to be the one in control! However, I know that nothing happens that is outside of His control or His will. My children exist and happen to both be girls because that is how God willed it. I am writing this blog right now, because that is how God willed it. My husband forgot a step in his home brew because that is how God willed it. Why? It is always for His glory!

Anyways, I diverge... What I wanted to reiterate is something the young guest pastor at our church stated - or pointed out. He was speaking about the wonderful saving work of Jesus Christ. He spoke of how Jesus was fully man and fully God. As man, he suffered - as God, he didn't have to but willed it to happen anyways. The pastor pointed out that God as sustainer of all things is why we exist as we do - why we live, breathe, eat, etc... He pointed out that even on the cross Jesus was fully God, and in complete control.

Think about that for a moment. Our wonderful God - creator, all powerful, ruler of all things seen and unseen, majestic, awesome - this very God hung upon a cross. He bore the sins of his people willingly. He became the propitiation of his people's sins! What is more, not only did Jesus willingly hang on the cross, but he sustained the men that hammered nails into his body - giving them strength and ability to finish that work. He sustained the nails and the wood - giving them form and ability to hold his flesh, and what's more - he sustained the very ground that the cross was placed in - giving it substance and form. If it weren't for this divine sustenance, we would have no salvation! As our God hung upon a cross, bearing the most horrific moment of human history and fully taking the wrath of God and bearing the judgement of his people's sins - he sustained the very cross on which he hung!

Praise God! What glory and majesty! What grace and mercy! Holy Holy Holy is the Lord God Almighty!

So, Christian, what is it that you believe? What God do you worship? Does your life show it? These are questions I am asking myself every day.

No comments: