Tuesday, October 7, 2008

1 Corinthians 10:31

I was reading a blog post by Carl Trueman. Watching Movies to the Glory of God.

1 Corinthians 10:31 - Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

In the article, Carl quotes John Piper who said (In "Drinking Orange Juice to the Glory of God): "It is sin to eat or drink or do anything NOT for the glory of God. In other words, sin is not just a list of harmful things (killing, stealing, etc.). Sin is leaving God out of account in the ordinary affairs of your life. Sin is anything you do that you don't do for the glory of God."

How often do we do this? I know that I do not do all things to the glory of God. In fact, most days I do very little to the glory of God. That is very scary! I am a professing Christian, yet in my own daily walk I fall short over and over again.

I am reminded of how I need to be deeply into the Word every day. When I am outside of the Word, my mind begins to become formed by the world around me - by all the mish-mash, deprave, humanistic thinking that abounds! I don't know why it seems so difficult to do, but I have definitely neglected this aspect of my spiritual life lately.

Praise God that he is working in me - sanctifying me and causing me to grow daily. Thankfully, He has reminded me to put Him first in all things - even in the simple act of drinking orange juice.

No comments: