Saturday, April 11, 2009

what a week

It feels like a whirlwind. I don't hardly remember the first few days of the week, but it's definitely been eventful. I am looking forward to worship tomorrow. Not only will we be having worship, but we will be having communion too.

Weds. we went over Betsy's house and spent the entire day sewing. It was so much fun! My oldest has become very excited about sewing, and I have to admit that I have also. I was so intimidated for a long time with the sewing machine, so I simply didn't do it. Thanks to Betsy's help, I am now more confident and willing to at least try.

We made a skirt and purse for the baby. It turned out very cute and easy. I'll post pics when I can figure out how.

After Weds, we spent the week trying to manage some schoolwork, finishing the sewing stuff, managing the house, yada yada... Not much work garden wise due to inclement weather - though I have a ton of sprouted plants, thankfully. I'm thinking that there will be some transplanting done in the very near future.

I've made 2 cheesecakes this week also. I hope they are good. We dyed some eggs, shopped for easter candy/stuff, etc...

A friend of our is in the hospital after having a heart valve replaced. She's been moved back to ICU due to some breathing and heart rythm issues. We took some food and stuff out to her hubby today. We're prayiing everything works out well very soon.

Also tonite, we went to an event with some of the adults in our church. It was very nice to hang out at a restaurant without kids, then stand around talking while eating ice cream. :) I love hanging out with everyone from our church. We have one of the best groups of people around.

I have always had problems in social situations, however - it makes me very uncomfortable and drains me pretty quickly. I am not much of a talker, and when I do talk I have problems with the words coming out right. I don't know how to explain it, but a lot of times things don't come out of my mouth the way they were in my head or I completely lose my words altogether. I get a picture of a big blank blackboard in my head when that happens. Sometimes it's the dumbest words too - something goofy like "chair" or whatever, and for the life of me I just can't get it out. I can't even picture it sometimes! I don't know why, but it's always been that way.

I also have problems with hearing things correctly. I don't know if it's a tonal thing or what, but I will either completely miss words, or they don't sound like they should. For instance, I "heard" oldest DD say at the gym the other day, "The towel is on fire and I am holding it to my face." (and then something about her nose) Now, since we were in the showers and I was fairly certain that a flaming towel would cause a bit more panic than her statement indicated, I *knew* she hadn't said that, but that's what I heard. This makes conversation a challenge because I either have to annoy folks by asking them to repeat themselves over and over or spend half the time trying to decipher what was said and make sense of it at the risk of missing other important information. I know there are times that folks are talking to me and saying/asking simple things while I have a dumb look on my face trying to sort it out (I'm not as good at hiding it since it takes me longer to figure out the older I get.)

Anyway - that aside, I love hanging out with our friends and we had a wonderful time. And, even with my personal 'issues', I'd do it all again. Actually - I will do it all again tomorrow since we were invited to spend Easter with some of our church family!

No comments: